Injured In A Public Place – Slips, Trips and Falls

Slips, trips and falls (also referred to as public liability claims) can occur in almost any environment.

From tripping on a pavement while out and about as a result of an uneven or broken footpath, a fall in a supermarket on a wet or slippery floor, trip or fall in the workplace, at a restaurant, hotel or even on a private property. All of these occurrences can lead to serious personal injury *. What is important to note is that in a public place there is a duty of care on the persons responsible for this area to ensure that a personal injury * does not occur. In some cases a slip, trip or fall can be attributed to the person who suffered the accident. However, in many other cases, the accident can be attributed to the negligence of the persons responsible for the upkeep of the area.
In most cases, the property owner should have public liability insurance to deal with compensating a person for slip, trip or fall that was their fault; this is especially true for owners of commercial properties.

Making A Claim

Pursuing a claim for a slip, trip and fall * in a public place and being successful in the claim will strongly depend on the circumstance of the accident. Your first priority after an accident should be to look after your health. If you are feeling any pain, minor or serious pain, you should seek medical attention immediately.
When making a public injury claim, you need to be able to prove that the property owner (public or private property) was negligent. It must be shown that they did not take the appropriate steps to ensure that a slip, trip or fall would not happen on their property.

A slip, trip or fall * claim may be seen as statable in cases where:

a county council or local authority has failed to maintain, repair or construct a safe and hazard free, street, footpath, park, road.

the owner of a supermarket/shop/pub/restaurant or any commercial premises failed to maintain a safe, hazardous free environment, failed to put up a ‘cleaning in progress’ warning sign when cleaning the premises or where an employee of the premises had caused the accident.

If you have been injured as a result of a slip, trip or fall on somebody else’s property and it was not your fault, then you may be entitled pursue legal action *. Once you have checked your health and well-being, there are particular steps that you should follow when making a claim:

  1. Report the Accident
  2. Document the Accident
  3. Contact a specialist Slip, Trip and Fall Solicitor *

Statute of Limitations – Legal Time Frames

It is important to remember that there is a certain timeframe in place within which you can bring a claim. The time frame in which you have to make a claim is called the statute of limitations and is usually 2 years from the date of the accident or date of knowledge of the injuries sustained from the accident.

Based in Dublin, Ireland, with 30 years’ experience Tracey Solicitors are specialists in Personal Injury Law. Serving clients from Ireland and Abroad our team of personal injury solicitors will guide you on all aspects of accident compensation claims.

We give legal advices in Russian. If you need legal help contact Emilia 087 165 1564

Tracey Solicitors
16/17 St. Andrew Street  Dublin 2

T: 01 649 9900 – Reception
T: 087 165 1564 – Russian


*In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.