Farm Accident Claims *

An accident while working on a farm is an all too common occurrence.

Just like workplace injury, there are certain steps that should be taken to ensure that the injury is treated. After this, if you wish to pursue a claim, knowing how to deal with a farm accident can make the process a lot clearer for you.


Given the type of work carried out on a farm, when accidents happen, they have long-lasting effects on a person’s quality of life. Some common types of farming accidents are:
Slips, trips and falls
Injuries caused by animals
Dangerous Farm Machine injury
Falling objects
Tractors and Forklift Injuries
Grain Bin or Silo accidents

Farm accidents can occur for a number of different reasons, some common reasons being:
Inadequate training of farm employees
Hazardous working environments
Farm machine entanglements
Farm equipment does not have adequate warnings on them
Defective or dangerous farming equipment

In the event of an accident on a farm, the steps you should follow, after you have sought medical attention if you wish to make a claim are:

  1. Report the accident * to your employer

It is important that you report the incident to your employer. The farm owner should have an incident report book in which the accident will be recorded. Inform them of your injuries, how and where the accident occurred. It is advisable that you seek confirmation of the recording of the incident. This can be either written or by electronic means.

  1. Document the Accident

It is important that you gather as much information as possible there and then. Here is a list of the important information that you will need to collect:
Details of the incident – write down exactly what happened
Name of the person you reported the accident to along with the complete incident report
Name and telephone number of any witnesses to the accident
Take photographs of the scene and your injuries using a camera or your smartphone.

  1. Speak to a solicitor

Following the accident, it is advisable that you speak with a solicitor * as soon as you can. This is if you are considering making a claim. If proceeding with a claim the first step will be submitting your claim to the Injuries Board for assessment. A solicitor * can help you in preparing your application for the Injuries Board. The process can be explained in the correct format. This means that you can move forward with your claim quickly without unnecessary delays.

It is important to remember to keep copies of any expenses that you have incurred. If possible to also to retain copies of medical reports where possible, as you will need them when making a claim.

If you decide to proceed  with a claim * you may be entitled to claim compensation for the injury and added expenses you have incurred, these claims are called damages:
General Damages: Non-financial damages such as pain and suffering and/or physical and emotional injuries following the injury.
Special Damages: Out of pocket expenses incurred as a result of the injury. For example, loss of earnings (if you were out of work), bills for nerve injury treatment, and added travel costs as a result of the injury, for example, travel to and from the hospital.
When calculating farm accident compensation, as well as a figure for the individual injury sustained, the following may be taken into account when assessing how much of a settlement you may receive:
Impact the injury has on your quality of life
Earnings you have lost, if you are absent from work
Future earnings lost as a result of the injury
Medical cost for nerve damage treatment
Future medical costs, if long-term treatment is needed
Out of pocket expenses, like travel costs
Psychological injuries
Based in Dublin, Ireland, with 30 years’ experience Tracey Solicitors are specialists in Personal Injury Law. Serving clients from Ireland and Abroad our team of personal injury solicitors will guide you on all aspects of accident compensation claims.

We give legal advices in Russian. If you need legal help contact Emilia 087 165 1564

Tracey Solicitors
16/17 St. Andrew Street
Dublin 2

T: 01 649 9900 – Reception
T: 087 165 1564 – Russian


*In contentious business a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.